Next week we start up back-to-school. The start date has been pushed out two weeks from when we originally go back, but I think we needed this time to prepare. From my understanding, our new schedules for distance-learning will be far more rigid than they were in the spring. But there will be routine. And that is something that we thrive on! Our lunch break will be short, so I’ll be trying to squeeze in as much nutrition as possible in those few minutes. And this Bento Box Pizza Muffins Recipe is jam-packed with nutrition! Bonus? The kids will eat them up!
Why a bento box?
As a mom of three kids, I’ve learned to get creative. A few years ago I found that if I put my kids food into a cupcake tin or a bento box, they are 100% more likely to eat. I stocked up on a few small cupcake tins and bento boxes. Later I added a handful of silicone liners, and the rest is history.
What you’ll need for this recipe
It’s easy to make pizzas on bagels or mini naan; but this recipe twists it up a bit. So instead of crust, you’ll use flour, eggs, baking powder, milk, and vegetable oil. Add in some fresh tomatoes, tomato puree, cooked chicken, fresh cheese, and basil! Pro tip: make your life easy and use canned chicken or repurpose some of your rotisserie chicken!
Once prepared, the muffins will cook in approximately 25 minutes. You can prep this in advance for a weeks worth of lunches. Or, better yet, use some now and freeze the rest for later!
The Bento Box “extras”
Again, it may seem silly. But adding in some blueberries and carrot sticks just adds more ‘color’ and more fun for the kids! Use a mini cookie cutter in the shape of a star or a heart to jazz up kiwi slices!
Bento Box Pizza Bites Recipe
- 1 and 1/4 cups of plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup of grated mozzarella + extra for topping
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin tray with paper muffin liners.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters and cut the cooked chicken in chunks. Set Aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and baking powder. Mix.
- Add the vegetable oil, eggs, milk and tomato puree to the bowl. Whisk until batter is smooth.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, cooked chicken, grated mozzarella, dried basil, salt and pepper. Gently mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin liners.
- Top with grated mozzarella.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 min until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean.
Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. To freeze just place into freezer bags.