This post may contain affiliate links
If you’re new around here, you may notice that I try to incorporate as many dairy free / vegan recipes into our life as possible. The reason being? Two out of three kids have had some sort of dairy intolerance. If you’ve ever shopped for dairy free products, you know it can get expensive. This is especially true when you have two kids who love yogurt. Enter: dairy free Instant Pot yogurt.
I have long heard about people brave enough to make their own yogurt in the Instant Pot. But I was always super intimidated with the process. I mean, it sounds complicated so it must be, right? I decided to try and figure out exactly what I would need to make it and I quickly realized it was a lot easier than it seemed!
What You’ll Need
Besides the Instant Pot, there were only a couple other “must-have” items for this recipe. First, you will need a vegan yogurt starter. I ordered this one from Amazon Prime and it arrived within 2 days. You’ll also need a cheesecloth, agar agar powder, and a reliable cooking thermometer.
Don’t Get Discouraged!
Once you have all of the items, it’s really quite simple! There’s a lot of waiting. Like, a lot. And I think the ‘time’ of all of it can be intimidating. But don’t let it be discouraging!
Tips for Making the Best Instant Pot Almond Milk Yogurt
Whatever you do, do not skip the thermometer step! Also, be sure that once the incubation period starts, you leave it. Don’t try and sneak a peek at the yogurt; this will have a negative effect on the results.
- 3 ¼ Cups of Ajoyo Sweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- ½ teaspoon of vegan yogurt starter
- 4 teaspoons of powdered agar agar
- Turn the Instant Pot on by pressing the Yogurt button. Use this function and continue pressing until it reads “Boil.”
- Pour Ajoyo Almond Milk into the Instant Pot. Add the agar agar. Whisk to mix well.
- Use a cooking or candy thermometer to watch the temperature of the mixture. Wait until the temperature reaches between 110 - 115 degrees fahrenheit (this will take only a few minutes).
- Once the temperature is reached, turn the Instant Pot off.
- Use a mesh strainer lined with a cheesecloth to strain the mixture into a bowl.
- Add the vegan yogurt starter to the mixture. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the mixture back into the Instant Pot and close the lid. to start the incubation period.
- Press the yogurt function, set pressure to “normal,” and set time to 24:00 (hours).
- After 24 hours of incubation, remove the mixture from the Instant Pot and place in a covered container in the refrigerator for 10 hours.
- Once the yogurt has sat refrigerated for 10 hours, mix the yogurt to combine (some will have settled). Sweeten to your taste (I prefer honey and almonds).
Once your yogurt is done, top it with whatever you’d like. My kids prefer it a little on the sweeter side, so we use honey and strawberries to give it an extra kick! But I understand that a lot of vegans do not eat honey. You could also try sweetening with vanilla extract!