This post may contain affiliate links
Social distancing and stay-at-home orders mean changes to all our everyday routines. But one of the things that I did, nearly everyday, was get a delicious, cold brew coffee from Starbucks. Sure, I’d make my own brewed coffee at home in the mornings. But there’s something extra yummy about coffee that you didn’t brew yourself, am I right?!
It turns out I’ve had a LOT of time on my hands to play around with different ways to make my daily coffee. I’ve done cold brew, drip brew, and making coffee over ice. And then the whipped coffee trend hit Instagram. And my life has changed forever.
Whipped Coffee, which is also known as Dalgona Coffee, combines instant coffee, granulated sugar, and hot water to make a delicious — and STRONG! — caffeinated treat! When I first heard about whipped coffee, I heard warnings of “Be careful, it’s very strong!” and I would scoff and think, “I can handle strong coffee.“
I’m here to say this — I was wrong. As someone who can handle strong coffee, this is whole other level of strong coffee. A friend described her post-whipped coffee, caffeine-high, as ‘being able to hear colors.’ It made me laugh, but I’m not sure I’d go that far. However, it is very, very, strong.
Missing your fancy coffee? Try this Easy Whipped Coffee at HOME!
Tips for the perfect ‘whip’
It’s rich. It’s so very rich! And I have some tips for whisking that would have been helpful for me, had I known!
Use a large bowl.
Seems like you wouldn’t need a big bowl, right? Wrong. On my first attempt, I used a small bowl. I figured it would be large enough to whip together 6 Tablespoons. But that whisk moves really fast. So use a large bowl to avoid splatter!
At first the consistency is … odd — but don’t worry!
It may seem like you are doing it wrong, but I assure you — you are doing it right! The instant coffee mixture is so dark at first. The more you whisk it, the lighter — and fluffier! — it gets. I promise it will get peak ‘peak’ness! 😉
Add ice and Ajoyo Almond Milk!
Again, I am a pro at strong coffee. I mean that! My parents raised me to drink strong, dark, black coffee. But this? This is a whole different beast! There is no “black” whipped coffee. Instead, it pairs perfectly with Ajoyo Vanilla Sweetened Almond Milk. Check out more about Ajoyo’s mission and about where you can purchase it here.
- 2 Tablespoons of instant coffee
- 2 Tablespoons of near-boiling hot water
- 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 ½ Cups of Ajoyo Sweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1. Heat a mug of water in either the microwave or a kettle until a near-boil.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of instant coffee, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons of hot water into a medium sized bowl.
3. Use a hand mixer with whisk attachment or immersion blender to whisk ingredients together at a medium-high speed until instant coffee mixture develops peaks.
4. Pour 1 ½ cups of Ajoyo Sweetened Vanilla Almond Milk over ice. Spoon whipped coffee on top. Mix together before drinking. Enjoy!
So tell me — if you’ve tried it, what did you think?!