This post may contain affiliate links
It’s official tomato season! All over social media I’m seeing photos of friends reaping their harvest of tomatoes, tomatillos, squash, and zucchini! Our recent harvests have been very plentiful! So why not put some of these garden veggies to use with making a super easy and super delicious air fryer salsa verde recipe!
What you’ll need
I know that air fryers have recently soared in popularity, but it doesn’t have to be a standalone appliance. In fact, I despise standalone kitchen appliances. They take up so much space! If you’re in the market for an air fryer please consider getting the Breville Convection and Air Fryer (it’s currently on sale right now!). We had an older version of this Breville Convection Toaster Oven, and when it came time to replace it, we went with this exact model. I know, I know… it’s not the most inexpensive option out there. But we get daily use out of it. More than a few times a day, in fact!
But you’ll also need tomatillos! Tomatillos, or husk tomatoes, can be grown across North America. So if you’re looking for something to grow in next years backyard garden, look no further! You’ll likely be able to find tomatillo seeds in your local garden store, but if not be sure to check a website like Seeds Now! Hurry! It’s time to start planning next year’s garden, now!
But why air fry?
Air frying is such a good alternative to traditional frying. It’s a way healthier option! Air frying doesn’t use any oil, so no need to worry about unneeded cholesterol spikes!
And why this recipe?
Because it is SIMPLE and delicious! And who doesn’t like those two things!? Besides a pound of tomatillos, it calls for a jalapeno, half of a white onion, a teeny pinch of salt, and cilantro (if that’s your jam — PS. it IS my jam!). How easy is that, right?! I am basically obsessed.
The Air Fryer Salsa Verde Recipe
- 1 lb. tomatillos, peeled and rinsed
- 1 large jalapeno (or 2 serranos for spicier salsa)
- ½ small white onion
- salt to taste
- cilantro, handful
- water (optional)
Place the tomatillos and onion into the air fryer basket, depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to do this in batches. Close the machine and set temperature to 390F for 5 minutes.
- Carefully open the air fryer and very gently remove the tomatillos, place them on a small bowl. If the jalapeno has also softened and browned a bit remove it from the air fryer as well.
- Leave the onion in the air fryer but flip it over. Set temperature to 390F and time to 3 minutes. Once time is up check on the onion, it should be softened and a bit browned on the edges.
- Allow the ingredients to cool before placing them in a Vitamix or blender. Add the salt and the cilantro on top. Any liquid that was released by the tomatillos while they cooled should also be added.
- Blend until you have a smooth salsa. If desired, add water to thin it down some more. Taste for salt and add as needed!
Easy peasy, am I right?! Just pair with your favorite tortilla chip and you’re DONE! Tell me — what’s your favorite way to use an air fryer?