It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Before I became a mom, Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday of the year. But there’s something extra magical that comes from being a mom during Christmastime. It’s now my absolute favorite holiday season. Between wrapping gifts, decorating the tree, and watching Christmas movies with hot cocoa, it’s simply magical. And despite 2020’s challenges, this year did bring us something fabulous — hot cocoa bombs. And that’s why I am sharing this super easy and yummy hot cocoa bombs recipe!
Because, why not?
For a lot of people, this year has been THE worst. Don’t get me wrong, this has not been ‘the worst’ for me. Extremely challenging and totally not at all what I expected. But also I’m leaning into the things that I can. And if that means making my kids super happy by making hot cocoa bombs, well, so be it!
Also? They’re like super freaking easy to make. So why the heck not?!
What you’ll need to make hot cocoa bombs
You don’t need much to make some bomb hot cocoa bombs (see what I did there? 😛 ). Besides semi-sweet chocolate chips, vegetable oil, hot cocoa powder, and marshmallows, you’ll need a mold like this one. Oh! And be sure you have milk on hand!
Oh, and enough freezer space to fit the molds while they cool!
How to make Hot Cocoa Bombs of your own
- ½ bag (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 6 Tablespoons of hot chocolate powder (more or less depending on your preference)
- approximately 24 mini marshmallows (more or less depending on your preference)
- Melt your chocolate chips and oil in a medium sized bowl in the microwave for 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Add your chocolate to the hot cocoa bomb mold. Make sure every part of the circle is covered in chocolate. Also try to make the chocolate coating thick as it could break the thinner the layer of chocolate is.
- Freeze your mold and chocolate.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, remove from the mold.
- Fill one half of the mold with your marshmallows and hot chocolate powder.
- Warm a small plate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take the other half of the bomb and twist your hand from left to right. The chocolate will start to melt on the edges.
- Place the two rounds together. The round that was melted on the edge will act as a sealant and melt the chocolate together to form a round ball (bomb) shape.
- Place in your favorite mug, pour hot milk over it, watch the magic happen, and enjoy!
I’m absolutely OBSESSED with these! And so are my kids. To be honest, I’m not even that big of a fan of hot cocoa. But something about these hot cocoa bombs is just magical.
I hope that you’ll find that these bring some joy to your life this year!
Tell me — what’s your favorite way to begin the holiday season?!