With Summer plans in limbo for everyone, we’re all scrambling to find fun things to keep our families busy. What better time to get creative with Summer recipes, am I right?
All three of my kids are in this really picky ‘grilled cheese’ phase. You know the kind of phase. It’s where literally all they will eat is plain old grilled cheese and nothing else.
The funny thing about kids is that no matter how much they refuse real food, they will never ever turn down sweets. To tell you the truth, neither will I! I mean, we all love sweets, am I right?!
The great thing about ‘Summer recipes’ is that it doesn’t have to be Summer to create them. As much as we would like to be around the campfire, life doesn’t always work out that way. In fact, on the best of days a good backyard campfire can quickly be ruined by a quick rainstorm or a fussy toddler. So, why not bring the backyard favorite indoors?
For instance, a fun family favorite is S’mores. Everyone loves s’mores, right? Even I, someone who doesn’t really like chocolate, LOVES a good s’more. Truthfully, I prefer a non-traditional s’more with chocolate caramels instead of a chocolate bar. But a s’more is a s’more!
Tips for getting your s’more on indoors!
My first tip is this — don’t eat the chocolate (or the marshmallows!) before you start your s’mores! This is the most important and most difficult task!
My second tip is to use real butter. Margarine just doesn’t fry up and crisp the bread the way that real butter does! And I prefer salted butter — it just gives it a little salty-sweet flavor combo that is extra delicious!
- 2 slices of white bread
- 1/4 cup of mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup of chocolate (dark or milk)
- tablespoon of butter
- Butter one side of each piece of bread with real butter (works better than margarine).
- Place 1 slice of bread onto a frying pan
- Set the heat to low (electric level 1 or 2). The process is slow and steady!
- Place chocolate chips and marshmallows on top of the slice of bread and top with second piece of bread (butter side up).
- Cover with lid to frying pan until chocolate starts to melt.
- Flip over once chocolate is melted. Fry other side until it is toasted (lid off).
This is completely addictive. I am warning you! Also, feel free to try with peanut butter cups or your favorite chocolate (like peppermint patties or ROLOs!).
As you can see, this recipe is simple and easy. I wish I could say it was also healthy, but it most definitely is NOT!
So tell me — what is your favorite chocolate for s’mores — milk or dark?