Summer has flown by. Before we know it, Autumn will be here. Truthfully, Autumn has always been my favorite season. I love the crisp air, the turning leaves, and most of all, the delicious apple foods! But this caramel apple air fryer dessert pizza is perfect for any season. It’s crispy, gooey, and oh-so-flavorful!
Why the air fryer?
As someone who creates a lot of Instant Pot and air fryer meals, I get this question a lot. Honestly, both of these kitchen gadgets have been a game changer for me. Not only are they easy to use, but they create less mess, and a faster cook time. And I know busy parents can relate to that! These gadgets are truly a lifesaver. And that’s why I use the air fryer for this recipe.
What you’ll need
Listen, this recipe is lengthy. Both as far as ingredients and steps. But I need to tell you — give it a shot. It’s much, much easier than you would expect. With homemade pizza crust, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- warm water
- dry yeast
- all-purpose flour
- olive oil
The pizza dough crust ingredients are so simple. The caramelized apples and cream cheese frosting are even more simple. Here’s what else you’ll need to have on hand:
- salted butter
- brown sugar
- 2 large apples
- ground cinnamon
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
Pro tip: The apples you get should be of the tart variety. Tart apple varieties include Pink Lady, McIntosh, and Cortland apples!
Caramel Apple Air Fryer Dessert Pizza Recipe
- 1 ½ cups of warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of dry yeast
- 3 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons of salted butter
- ⅓ cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 large apples
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Caramelized apples
- 3 tablespoons of butter softened
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces of cream cheese softened
- 6 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- In a large bowl, add your warm water and yeast. Stir and mix. Allow your yeast to proof for about five minutes.
- After five minutes, add in your sugar, flour, olive oil, and salt. Mix until fully incorporated.
- If using a stand mixer, knead with the dough hook for about five minutes on medium speed. If using your hands, transfer the dough ball to a lightly floured flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer your dough ball to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a clean towel for 1 hour, or until it's doubled in size.
- Peel and dice the apples into small pieces.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium high heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the sugar, water, and apples. Stir and cook until the sugar is melted. 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and consistently stir while cooking for 8 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon and cook/stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes. Place in a jar and cool for 1 hour.
- Preheat your air fryer to 380°
- Once your dough has doubled in size, remove your dough ball to a lightly floured surface.
- Divide your ball into 4 sections.
- Roll your dough using a rolling pin until it is 8 inches in diameter.
- Dust the air fryer pan with the cornmeal and transfer your pizza dough to your pan. Press to flatten down on the bottom of the pan.
- Once your air fryer is heated, cook your dough for 4 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add and mix the caramelized apples, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- Remove the cooked dough and then top it with 1/4 of the caramel apple sauce from the mixing bowl. Cook for another 4 minutes.
- Repeat the steps for each pizza.
- While the pizza is cooking, add the frosting ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Once the pizza is cooked and cooled, pipe or drizzle the frosting onto the pizzas.
- Serve and enjoy! Use any extra frosting as a dipping sauce.
Truly this recipe is so easy. If you’re looking for other Fall recipes, check out these adorable Mummy Jalapeño Poppers!