This post may contain affiliate links
As things really hang in limbo with the reopening of everything, the kids and I have been still hanging at home. But this has left a lot of time to try new recipes. Lucky for me, I have three little taste-testers — and one big one! Creating a vegan apple galette recipe just in time for the 4th of July was a huge success!
While not everyone agrees on meals I make (mostly because kids are picky, y’all!). They will always agree on dessert! And, can you blame them? Nope!
So I’m sharing this delicious (and vegan!) Apple Galette recipe — just in time for the upcoming 4th of July holiday! It’s sweet, a little tart, and a whole lot of delicious!
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour OR all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon of powdered sugar
- 6 Tablespoons of cold butter / butter alternative
- 1/4 Cup of water, ice cold
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of AJOYO Unsweetened Almond Milk (for brushing)
- 1 teaspoon of sliced almonds (optional)
- 2-3 apples, sliced and cored
- 4 Tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
To make the crust:
- Place the flour, salt, sugar, and butter into a bowl and give this a mix, breaking the pieces of butter into smaller chunks, rubbing into the flour.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and ice cold water to the mix. Gently start mixing it with the dry flour until it starts to form a ball.
- Once the dough is well mixed, wrap it with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
To make the filling:
- Place the sliced apples in a large bowl. Toss the apples with cinnamon, powdered sugar, and lemon juice until well-coated.
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. Roll out until relatively round and thin.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar on the rolled crust.
- Place the sliced apple filling in the middle of the rolled crust and spread it evenly leaving a half a centimeter edge.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar on top of the filling.
- Take a small edge and fold it over the filling. Repeat this step taking small sections of the dough until the galette is formed.
- Brush the folded over crust with AJOYO Unsweetened Almond Milk and sprinkle the sliced almonds on top.
- Bake the galette for about 30 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown.
- Let it cool before serving.
- ENJOY by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
As you can see, this recipe can easily be modified to be made into a fully vegan recipe. Some of my favorite butter alternatives are coconut oil and avocado oil, but I wouldn’t recommend either of those for this particular recipe. Instead, try and use the Country Crock Plant Based Butter Sticks! They have the same density and consistency of milk-based butter, which definitely helps in this recipe.
Tell me — what’s your favorite apple recipe?!