We Survived Christmas 2017!

January 2, 2018 in #MomLife,another year,family,holidays

Confession: I was at a near-anxiety attack the whole week before Christmas. And I’m not exaggerating.

I kept having visions (nightmares?) of Christmas 2016 throughout all of last week. It was awful.

For those who don’t know, we battled the dreaded stomach bug for most of December 2016. It hit all four of us, twice, on Christmas Eve, and landed poor Ari in the hospital just two days after Christmas.

So when people around us were dropping like flies, I was in a lightweight hardcore panic. I just kept thinking, “Please, PUH-LEASE don’t end up like last year.”

I am happy to report that we did not get sick at Christmas. [HOORAY, heard far and wide, y’all!]. I mean, both of the kids had bronchitis, and Chad had a sinus infection/double-ear infection — but it wasn’t the stomach bug! So… yay!

But I also took zero — that’s right, ZERO — photos from Christmas. And guys, it was perfection. I’m not sorry. Chad took video of the kids opening their presents, but I was too involved in watching the kids to even notice really.

And the week thereafter came and went without fanfare. And our New Year’s Eve was just as low-key.

With that said, I have to say, Peace Out, 2017! It was a heck of a ride!

• I got my cycling certification.
  • We got the stomach bug 2+ times.
  • I started feeling like myself again.
  • And then we decided to have another baby.

Like I said, it’s been quite a year. So here goes nothing — the final goodbye to 2017 with my One Second Everyday video!

If nothing else, I hope you found closure this holiday season. And I wish you a happy and prosperous 2018!

Marta Rivera January 2, 2018 at 10:03 am

I’m glad to hear you didn’t get struck down with another stomach bug. Boo for bronchitis and ear infections, though.

Sam | Away She Went January 2, 2018 at 10:43 am

Yay for not getting the stomach bug! I get bronchitis every winter, but this year I’ve managed to avoid it so far!

Courtney January 2, 2018 at 2:28 pm

I am so glad you guys had good health this Christmas. How cool that you got your cycling certifications! I would love to know what that entails!

Mary Leigh January 2, 2018 at 9:48 pm

I was in panic mode a little before Christmas too. We were sick for Thanksgiving and slept almost none during our travels! Fortunately, Christmas was way better for us, too! Great video. It’s so cool to see the year fly by like that!

Holly January 2, 2018 at 9:51 pm

I’m totally ready for the stomach bug. I know it’s going around again and we also got it in 2017. I just wanted to get it AFTER the the holidays this time. It was seriously horrible though.

Jess January 3, 2018 at 7:33 am

I’m so glad you had a healthy family for the holidays! It is so sad when kids are sick on Christmas. Years ago, my son had an ear infection and he was just miserable, he even asked me to open his presents for him while we cuddled up on the couch and I was just heartbroken! I’m glad your holidays were laid back and enjoyable! 🙂 Happy new year!

Stephanie Bishop January 3, 2018 at 10:59 am

I was also thankful for an uneventful, in the best way, Holiday season this year!

Rachel January 3, 2018 at 1:48 pm

We got the stomach flu last year too and it landed my son in the hospital the day after Christmas. It was scary! This year was much better.

Cassy French January 4, 2018 at 10:25 am

It can be really refreshing not worrying about taking pictures and videos of everything! It was my daughter’s first Christmas and I was so in the moment that I didn’t even think about it.. good thing other people were taking videos and pictures for me, ha! I’m glad you guys made it through without the stomach bug, but hope everyone feels better soon! I loved the one second video – what a cute family!