New Year, New Me // Simplifying in 2018 with Curbside Delivery

January 8, 2018 in #MomLife,Akron,brews + food,busy mom,cleveland,coupon,domesticity,Explore Ohio,finance,money saving tips,NEO,Ohio,review,social media,sponsor,tips + tricks

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GiantEagleDelivers #CollectiveBias

Welcome, 2018! This year brings lots of changes for my growing family! And I’m happy to report that, thanks to some serious growth and self-reflection, there are some things I’m just leaving in 2017. For instance, having too much on my plate.

My one “Goal” for 2018 is to Simplify. Simplifying doesn’t have to mean becoming a minimalist or refraining for doing anything fun. There are so many other ways to simplify your life, so I’m going to share some creative, no-nonsense ways you can simplify to be more present in 2018!

1.  Keep track of time spent doing all things.

One of the major ways I keep my life on track is by using Google Calendar. Not only is it simple, but it syncs to my iPhone calendar automatically and I can keep my husband in the loop by sending him Google Calendar invites to things we have scheduled (because, let’s face it — he isn’t going to remember unless he sees it pop up on his phone).

But besides the obvious “doctor appointment” notifications, I also schedule time for laundry, cleaning the house, and — here comes the kicker — downtime.

You read that right — I purposefully block off downtime in my Google Calendar and it is non-negotiable! So what if sends me someone an invite? Sorry, I’m busy.

That’s right. Give yourself some time to breathe and make it non-negotiable!

2.  Unsubscribe, unsubscribe, unsubscribe!

I cannot even begin to tell you how many “Hurry! Super Sale!” emails I received this holiday season. Truthfully? Very few of them were ‘super’ in any way; and most of them were from the same handful of retailers. It’s… daunting. And totally and completely unnecessary.

Do yourself a favor and take a few minutes today to unsubscribe from the junk. Do you really need to know everytime that retailer has a 15% off sale? Probably not. And if you don’t want to miss their sales, subscribe to their Facebook notifications instead.

Simplify by cleaning out that inbox and I promise you’ll feel so much better about checking your emails!

3.  Get comfortable saying “No.”

If you’re like me, the times I feel most overwhelmed are the times I’m most over-committed. It took me the last 5 years to become comfortable enough saying “no” to things that just don’t serve me or my family.

But a few years ago, I read something that really struck me — that when we say “I’m too busy…” for something, we’re really saying “It’s not a priority.

So I’ve turned that around to suit me — if I say yes to too many things, I won’t have time for the things that really serve me and my family. And, honestly, learning to say no has been a godsend. However, there is still a learning curve for my friends and extended family. It takes a bit more understanding on their part to see why we’re unable to commit to everything.

Try to simplify your schedule by saying ‘no’ more often.

4.  Take advantage of Giant Eagle Curbside Express Delivery Service.

One of the things I found most difficult with two children is running errands. Grocery shopping became the bane of my existence. The lugging of children out of the car, into the shopping cart, dealing with tantrums, and navigating other shoppers. It’s exhausting.

The allure of having a personal shopper select the freshest, best products for me, based on my online shopping cart, was too much to contain! I first tried out Curbside Express last year and have since hopped on the bandwagon for Curbside Express Delivery! Yes, delivery! As in they deliver your groceries to your home! Squeeee!

It’s so easy to use. I use my Giant Eagle card to log in to an online account where I’m able to personally shop for items ranging from fresh fruits, to frozen foods, to paper products, to deli meats and cheeses. I can even use my preloaded e-coupons and and other sale items!

From there, a Personal Shopper does the shopping for me and I wait for the scheduled delivery (yep, I even get to choose the time and date of delivery!).

I loved that I was able to try it for free the first time and that I was able to add to my shopping cart online during my spare time (which, let’s face it, is when the kids are napping). And delivery was a breeze! Remy was eager to check out what goodies had been delivered and I couldn’t help but bask in the happiness that we didn’t even have to get out of pajamas to get groceries!

Do yourself a favor and simplify your shopping routine by using Giant Eagle Curbside Express Delivery Service.

5.  Save time cooking by using a pressure cooker.

Look, my husband has been “team pressure cooker” for the last 5 years, and I’m on a recent convert (hello, popular electric pressure cooker!). But anything that cuts down on the time it takes to prepare a healthy meal for my family is a win.

Some of the pressure cookers also have a slow cook feature as well, so if you’re looking to toss something in the crock pot in the morning and have it ready by the time you arrive home from work, this would be perfect at helping you simplify your meals.

6.  Take 5 minutes out of your evening to plan your day tomorrow.

Take 5 minutes out of your evening routine and sit down with a pen and paper. Nope, don’t open your email and create a task (you’ll get too distracted from your inbox).

Keep it simple and short. Write down a few must-do’s followed by a couple of action items. You’ll go to sleep with a plan to attack the next day and less stress in the morning. Simplify by planning ahead.

7.  Purge items that no longer serve a purpose to your family.

This is a big one. Like any family, we’ve accumulated ‘stuff’ over the years. Kids stuff, kitchen stuff, other stuff… and it rarely continues to serve a purpose, right? So get rid of it!

I’m not suggesting you do this all in one day. But if you come across something and you realize you no longer need/use it, toss it. Or donate it. But don’t sit and wait for it to become useful again. Simplify by minimizing.

So cheers, 2018. Let’s do this. I’m ready to live more simply and enjoy my family and time for myself!

Linette January 8, 2018 at 12:35 pm

This was such good advice. It is so easy to get caught up in go mode all the time! I love all the changes and it has inspired me to do the same!

Candy January 8, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Sounds like you have a game plan all laid out to help you have more time in 2018. Use it wisely.

Larissa January 8, 2018 at 12:44 pm

What great tips! I’m definitely need to include simplifying in my New Year’s Resolutions. Learning to say no and unsubscribing are things I’ve already started doing. I need to learn to be more organized and actually use my planner more consistently. Maybe using Google calendar will be more efficient for me than a paper planner. I’ll have to try it out and see!

Tee Evans January 8, 2018 at 2:20 pm

As a mom of 2 this was extremely helpful. My personal favorite is the idea of cooking more meals with a pressure cooker. Once I return to work this is going to be a LIFE SAVER! Help me from going CRAZY! Lol. Thanks for the tips.

Kate January 8, 2018 at 3:56 pm

I’ve become much better at planning out my days/weeks/months, which has meant a lot less stress & overbooking for me. Of course, I triple-booked myself this Friday, but hey, it can’t ALWAYS work, right? I blame it on switching planners in the new year. Whoops!

Mary Leigh January 8, 2018 at 5:00 pm

These are all really great tips. I’m also working on simplifying this year. Some of the tips you shared that I’m working on currently – unsubscribe! (so much electronic clutter!), and taking more time to plan out our day. Other great tips here to try!

Heather January 8, 2018 at 5:11 pm

So many of my friends use curbside pickup for groceries and more….I need to try it this year! Love your suggestions of downtime and saying no (I’m TRYING to improve this one). Thanks for the great tips.

Kiley January 8, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Curbside delivery is such a lifesaver especially when you have young kids!

April@LoveOurRealLife January 8, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Yes! Time to get rid of excess and simplify! I use Unroll Me to help reduce my emails. It’s been a life saver!

jaclyn January 8, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Simplifying is my word for 2018 too! I need to start unsubscribing from unwanted emails–thanks for the suggestions!

Krystal @ Simple Finance Mom January 8, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Number one is something I feel like I really mastered last year, and it was so nice! Number two…not so much. That is so on my to-do list this month!

Sina January 8, 2018 at 10:06 pm

Grocery store delivery is a GREAT way to simplify-especially for moms! No toting kids around. I think Walmart does this too in some areas ? That and then there’s always Shipt!

Karlee January 8, 2018 at 10:13 pm

It’s so cool that more grocers are getting on board with the delivery service, its so helpful for people that are older or busy and don’t want to waste precious time on something that will take so long!

lauren January 9, 2018 at 8:52 am

These are great tips! Everytime I cancel emails I always feel so good!

Lyndsey January 9, 2018 at 8:58 am

so so good!! simplifying is at the top of my mind for 2018!

Kim S January 9, 2018 at 11:59 am

I’m loving all of these delivery systems and online ordering these days! It really helps save time!

Marie, Mamma's Cooking January 9, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Such great ideas! I try to write out my plan each day, it usually doesn’t happen until morning though. I really need to simplify our clutter!

Sarah Althouse January 9, 2018 at 12:59 pm

I also recently went on an “unsubscribe” binge. My mailbox thanks me!

Carly January 9, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Great tips! It’s so important to stay organized and simplify.

Natalie Linda January 9, 2018 at 4:33 pm

You give some really great productivity tips! I can see why someone so busy, like a mom with her hands full, would find Curbside Express so convenient. I had never heard of them, so this was an informative post to read : )

Justine @ Little Dove January 9, 2018 at 5:53 pm

OH my gosh, I feel like all I do with my email is unsubscribe from things! SO frustrating! And I really want to try a meal delivery or pick up service, I know it would make my life so much simpler!

Leigh Suznovich January 9, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Love this! I don’t have children with my husband yet but I despise grocery shopping even though I’m a food blogger. Signing up to get my groceries delivered is the best time saver I have ever done! When the kids do come along, no worrying about going to the store :-).

Susannah January 9, 2018 at 10:41 pm

I love purging! It really helps me feel in control to let go of things 🙂

Nathalie January 10, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Great New Year resolutions! I am working on decluttering our apartment! Its crazy how quickly we accumulate all that junk.

Nathalie

Nicole January 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm

One of my big goals this year is to declutter and minimize as well. We have too much stuff! I keep a clean home but it is never as neat as I would like simply because of all the Stuff!!

JoeHx January 10, 2018 at 2:13 pm

I don’t use curbside delivery mostly because I don’t need it and it’s not offered near me, but I can definitely see the appeal and how it could benefit people who are short on time.

Jennifer Maune January 10, 2018 at 2:42 pm

GREAT tips and I will be utilizing some of them for sure!! I’ve already been UNSUBSCRIBING like crazy 🙂

Gail M Akeman January 10, 2018 at 3:17 pm

Yes purging is a good idea. great to start a new year each year.

Karen Giuliana January 10, 2018 at 6:39 pm

LOVE THIS! so many great tips! I agree with the throwing away the extra stuff, my closet is in serious need of that. The planning your next day is amazing, i just bought myself a planner and seeing everything organized and planned is making my 2018 a breeze so far. HAHA! Im in the process of unsubscribing from those annoying emails! Love the post and good luck to all your 2018 goals! 🙂

Julie January 10, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Ok, 2 and 3 are kicking my butt right now!! Thanks for the reminders!

Lindsey January 10, 2018 at 7:42 pm

You have made some excellent suggestions. Right now my email is out of control. I need to start purging all of those ads and newsletters that are no longer relevant to me and my family.

Kristen January 10, 2018 at 8:00 pm

I am the same way when I over commit – I get so stressed. Saying no is something I need to work on. Also we don’t have a Giant Eagle by us but I LOVE the grocery delivery options we do have they are such a time saver!

Vy January 10, 2018 at 9:31 pm

#2 is a huge time saver for me – and prevention of CLUTTER! Great tips overall!

Britney Kaufman January 10, 2018 at 10:46 pm

I love those tips! I haven’t heard of giant eagle yet either. Sounds like a great service!

Kristin January 11, 2018 at 10:20 am

Great tips! I’ve been trying to get better at scheduling things – even laundry and downtime – as well. I’m trying to be more productive with time blocking. I haven’t tried a grocery delivery service before, but I think it would be so nice to have it just come to you.

ChristineSaltyMama January 11, 2018 at 10:27 am

I have soooo embraced grocery delivery in 2018! But unsubscribing is genius!

Shannon January 11, 2018 at 12:44 pm

My mom schedules her downtime as well, you are not alone! Lol…I looked at her to do list last weekend and saw “sit down, relax, and read a book!” And thought it was so funny, but not really out of character for my mom because her days off are always so busy.

Samantha-Raising Twincesses January 11, 2018 at 1:16 pm

It’s like you read my mind! I have the same goal for this year and began the other day by getting rid of items we no longer use or need! I totally need to implement all your tips, especially by trying out grocery delivery, which is fairly new to our Canadian city!

Aly Funk January 11, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Yes to all of these things, especially the learning to say no!

Chelsea (@mommyandthemini) January 11, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Decluttering is something that is one of my goals for the month. I hate the clutter and it just seems to be never ending!

Holly January 11, 2018 at 9:47 pm

I have filters set up on my email to move a lot of emails into folders.

I prefer to run “in and out” errands alone. It goes so much faster!

Eryka January 12, 2018 at 3:24 pm

I love the ideas here! I’m ready to organize my office

shalama January 13, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Simplifying is good. I try to do that here and there but probably could do better.

Stephanie Bishop January 14, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Great tips- gonna write some of these down!

platforms and pacifiers - hanna January 18, 2018 at 7:58 am

I have been simplifying as well!! ESPECIALLY unsubscribing to tons of junk email lists that I dont even know how I subscribed to!