Digging Deep in Motherhood // Opening Up About My Infant Feeding Journey

October 8, 2017 in #MomLife,babies,breastfeeding,busy mom,children,crunchy granola,family,health,life,mommyhood,parenthood

From the moment Remy Bea was born, everything changed. Sure, that’s to be expected when having a second child; but I mean it in the way that my world was turned upside down — this child was unlike anything I could have ever imagined.

But the one thing she was always good at was breastfeeding. Granted, she would pretty much breastfeed 24-hours a day — and refused to take a bottle — but it was literally the only thing she was good at. See, she refused to sleep. Like, at all. I’m not just saying that — she actually would sleep for an average of 1-3 hours in a 24-hour period. Now, it turns out that she had a series of undiagnosed UTI’s and an issue with her spinal alignment, but that wasn’t discovered for about 7 months.

And once she felt better, this little girl became an amazing little human. I felt closer to her than I had ever really felt with Ari at that age. I was home with her all of the time, I was watching her grow, and she was attached to me almost always. It was lovely.

Until she decided that she was done with breastfeeding.

Cue the panic and all of the sadness…

The panic was regarding nutrition. I was concerned about how I was going to transition her to a formula that was similar to breastmilk and be able to supplement the solids she had started.

I’m forever grateful to the Happy Family brands for being supportive of ALL mamas feeding their babies. They offered online support through lactation consultants and helped to ease my mind and soul during this time of transition to Happy Family Stage 2 Organic Infant Formula.

An additional source of panic was the fact that Remy Bea still would not take a bottle. Her downright refusal came after trying literally every bottle and nipple on the market — including discontinued nipples that cost $40 on Amazon! But with the help of the nutritionists from Happy Family, we decided to try her on a tiny straw sippy cup instead. Sure, not the most traditional route — but it worked!

The sadness? Well, the sadness was a little bit more difficult to overcome. But, at some point I managed to convince myself that each story of feeding babies is different, but they are all good!

At the end of the day, what’s important is that I’ve successfully made it through the hardest part — infancy. We did it, baby girl! We survived. Thanks to our tribe and our Happy Family. xo

Jen October 9, 2017 at 9:42 am

Your journey is very similar to the one I had with my first child, except the nursing ended very early. I tried every bottle/nipple out there until we finally tried the soft straw. We do whatever works, right!?

Aditi Singh October 9, 2017 at 9:57 am

It is so interesting to read how different people’s feeding journey is . This looks like a great product to help in times of need. My son was breastfed to 2.5 years and my daughter 9 months ( with struggle ) Every child is so different. I wish more pepole would share their journeys honestly to help others.

Rachel October 9, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Yes!! I SO wish there was less shame and more just open dialogue about how every child and every situation can be SO different!

Mila October 9, 2017 at 11:52 am

Thank you for sharing your journey! I’m thinking about kiddos, and this is a really important topic to think about! Sounds like you’re doing what works :).

Sarah Althouse October 9, 2017 at 1:08 pm

I hope to breastfeed but know that’s not always possible so excited to read about good alternatives!

Jaclyn @coffeepancakesanddreams October 9, 2017 at 2:36 pm

It can be hard to let go of expectations about breastfeeding but in the end it is what is necessary for the baby! I love Happy Famly products!

Jaclyn @coffeepancakesanddreams October 9, 2017 at 2:39 pm

It can be hard to let go of expectations about breastfeeding but in the end it is what is necessary for the baby! I love Happy Family products!

Shannan Panganiban October 9, 2017 at 8:01 pm

I love that you found something that worked for her!

Diana October 9, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I love Happy Family products and so glad to hear good things about their formula

Britney Kaufman October 9, 2017 at 8:25 pm

We love Happy Family! They have the best products for kids. Glad you guys found something that works for you!

Kristen October 10, 2017 at 11:01 am

I love that they offer online support. It’s great that they offer the ability to chat with an expert. Sometimes it is nice to get more knowledge to help make the best decisions.

magen October 10, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I had a hard time breastfeeding my son. I ended up with mastitis a few times. Then when it was time for solids he didn’t want to try those either. Sometimes I wish kids could be a little bit more on board with things like feeding and potty training!

Chanel October 10, 2017 at 2:05 pm

This formula sounds amazing! My kids were both formula fed and I wish this was around when I needed it!

Jenni October 10, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Many of my momma friends have talked about the sadness they feel when they have to stop breastfeeding. It’s a really unique bond.

Jenny October 10, 2017 at 10:29 pm

I don’t have kids yet but I will have to pass this post along to my mom friends out there 🙂

Eryka October 11, 2017 at 9:58 am

I’m sharing this with my new mama friend

Aly Funk October 11, 2017 at 10:26 am

My youngest weened herself at 11 months old. I am so thankful for a formula that worked for her during the last few months that she needed it.

Katrina + Every Super Woman October 11, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Aww! Our BF’ing journey is also coming to an end. It’s so bittersweet. I’m glad you found formula that fits just as well for your growing beauty!

Michelle October 11, 2017 at 9:44 pm

I am pretty sure our breastfeeding journey is ending soon and I am so sad about it- I am drying up fast lately

Jaclyn Quinones October 12, 2017 at 11:34 am

Not all moms can breastfeed and some have kids like yours so it’s wonderful that there’s amazing products on the market to help keep our babies healthy and thriving!