Illness, Float Therapy, Yoga, and the Northside Market // Weekly Mantra

February 5, 2017 in #MomLife,Akron,Ari Davis,busy mom,children,crafty,creative,desserts,events,explore locally,live happy,mantra,mommyhood,NEO,Ohio,pampering,parenthood,week in review,weekend,workout,yoga

So last week I was all “this is going to be THE BEST week,” which is pretty much just tempting fate. And fate handed me about 50% of what I was expecting last week, and 50% of the unexpected. Win some, lose some, friends.

Monday morning I woke up with a bit of a sore throat, but I got myself and the kiddos ready to go into work (for those who don’t know, both of my children come with me to work everyday — it’s quite a benefit!). Shortly after we got there, a building maintenance issue was uncovered and we realized that instead of 2 of us staffing one small area, there would be four of us. Which… is way too many. So I said “Hey I’m kinda feeling like poo a bit. Send me home.” And so I went.

No sooner did I get home did I start having fever and chills. It was so bizarre. I still don’t really know what was up, but I spent all of that day in bed, shaking and aching. I finally gave up and texted Chad at 3pm and told him I absolutely needed him to come home and take care of the kids. I was completely incapable of doing so. He ended up making it home from work very early so that I could try to sleep off the fever. I awoke some time later, but still feeling really awful.

Long story short, our Tuesday plans were ruined, too, because not only did I not go into work, but I kept Ari home from preschool just so I wouldn’t have to leave the house. I was so ashamed to keep Ari home, but I seriously couldn’t muster the energy to drag two kids out of the house for preschool dropoff.

But then I had a moment of panic — this fever? Did it have something to do with the dental procedure I had had on Friday? Should it be cause for concern? So I ended up having to drag both kiddos in to the dentist office with me. Far less than ideal, especially when there was an hour wait. But we survived — and my procedure site was not the cause of the fever! Hooray!

Thankfully, all of that rest paid off and Wednesday morning I was finally feeling so much more like myself! Well enough to go to work and take Ari to his first ever karate class!

OMG this kid loved his karate class! And, no joke, a serious natural talent for it!

Thursday evening I had scheduled my first ever float tank therapy session. If you’re not familiar with ‘floating,’ it’s essentially floating in 10-inches of super buoyant water (thanks to the 1000 lbs of epson salt!) in a sensory deprivation chamber. The tank is lightless and soundproof, so, in addition to your body floating effortlessly, your entire body and mind are completely zoned out.

Being semi-claustrophobic, I was super nervous about getting into the tank/chamber. But after a while, I was totally fine — even super relaxed! The only way I can explain it is that it was like a 90-minute savasana!

And the effects have lasted for days. Guys. I fell asleep SITTING UP AT MY COMPUTER WITH THE TV ON. Even at my most sleep deprived moments, I have never been that relaxed!

Next thing I knew, Saturday morning was upon us — and a very busy day at that! We started with the monthly kids workshop at Home Depot! No joke, this build was complicated, ya’ll! It ended up taking way longer than I anticipated, so we were racing to make it to Ari’s karate class.

Chad missed Ari’s first class so this was his first time seeing Ari in his (new) element! It was just as adorable as his first class. And he still really loved it!

And from there I raced home to put the kids down for naps and I raced back out again. I made my triumphant return to yoga after a terribly long hiatus!

My deer friend Gretchen is opening a new studio, Do Good Yoga, so I went to check it out. Honestly, it gave me the perfect excuse to get back on my mat. And, oh my gosh, it took returning to my mat to realize how much I’ve missed my yoga practice!

Post-yoga I brought Remy to the site of Noto North Akron, Do Good Yoga, and Akron Honey Company for the first Northside Market Akron!

The vendors and DJ were amazing! I’m so lucky to be a part of such an awesome community of makers and shakers!

Between all of this fun AND a late night thanks to the Super Bowl, my weekly mantra for this week is simple:

Happy Monday, friends!

Patricia February 6, 2017 at 10:15 am

That sounds like quite a week!! I’m glad that the rough start got better!

Justine Y @ Little Dove February 6, 2017 at 10:29 am

I’m so glad you were able to shake of your illness and have a fabulous finish to your week! I have heard of those chamber things but I had no idea that regular people could just go and have little sessions in them! I’m not going to lie, at first I was like “sounds creepy”, but man, if I could be as relaxed as you were I would love it!!

Samantha Kuzyk | Raising Twincesses February 6, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Love the mantra for this week! And I’ve always been curious about float therapy, but also kinda scared! Glad to know it was super relaxing, maybe I’ll give it a shot!

Mamaguru February 7, 2017 at 6:53 am

Oh, I want to try that float therapy! I’m nervous but everyone says it’s amazing!

Stuff Dutch People Like February 7, 2017 at 9:23 am

I tried float therapy a few years ago and I realised you either love it or hate it. For me it was the latter. Some hidden form of claustrophobia kicked it, right when they closed the lid – and only dissipated once I stepped back onto solid land.

Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms February 7, 2017 at 9:28 am

I have always wanted to try floating! My parents tried it and loved it! Glad it was able to relax you so much!

Holly February 7, 2017 at 3:19 pm

That tank sounds wild.

Kate February 7, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Oh my gosh, I need to know where you did the float therapy!

Amber Battishill February 7, 2017 at 6:11 pm

I’ve been wanting to try one of those float tanks! We just had a place open up here too!

Kelly February 7, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Oh my gosh, you make me laugh so much. I had blood drawn earlier this year and then came down with a terrible fever – my mind went to that exact same place. “Was the needle dirty!?” “Am I septic?” “I think I’m dying!” So glad you’re feeling better!

Kari February 8, 2017 at 10:01 am

I’ve wanted to try a float tank for a long time now and you may have just convinced me to try one finally!

Virjinia February 8, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Glad you were able to get better quickly. How cool that you get to take your kiddos to work with you! That relaxation chamber sounds AWESOME!

kels February 8, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Those float tanks fascinate me and TERRIFY me, lol. I feel like you are very brave to try that out. I f it helps, I would try it at least once 🙂

Angela Kim February 8, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Mama, your live seems busy like me! My daughter too is in art and karate (she stopped since then) and it kept my afternoons so busy. I hope you’re feeling better now. Looks like the event was fun!

Sane Mama February 8, 2017 at 2:37 pm

I really want to try floating, but I was also nervous about being so closed in. Thanks for the inspiration!

Melanie February 8, 2017 at 3:08 pm

I have ALWAYS wanted to try floating!! Will have to give it a go! And so glad to hear you are feeling better 🙂

Shaquita February 8, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Love the weekly round up! We really want to put Tionna (our 4 year old) into karate. It teach kids so many life lessons!

Danielle February 8, 2017 at 8:38 pm

That float tank sounds so cool, but also a little scary. I’m not sure that I would be able to that.

Melissa February 8, 2017 at 10:30 pm

It sounds like you had a crazy week. I hope you get some downtime. Maybe there will be more yoga in your future!

Tamara February 9, 2017 at 10:48 am

Oh my goodness I don’t know if I could go into that chamber. My claustrophobia is brutal. I keep hearing such great things though.

Rachel February 9, 2017 at 1:04 pm

I swear I thought I would totally panic, too!!! Elevators usually freak me out, but I just did my yoga breathing and I calmed myself down. The tank itself is so soothing that it makes all of that claustrophobia disappear!

Shannan Panganiban February 9, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Always wanted to try float therapy! So cool!

Katie February 10, 2017 at 11:08 am

I am not too far from this! I should check it out.