Little Mover, Big Changes // Adjusting To Life With A Spirited Child

January 1, 2017 in #MomLife,babies,busy mom,children,coupon,deals,family,life,mommyhood,money saving tips,Oh baby!,parenthood,pictures,Remy Bea,sponsor

I’ll be the first to admit it — Our first born, Ari, did little to prepare us for the wild side of parenting. See, he has always been very cautious and mild-mannered. Certainly, our second child would be just as chill, right?

Wrong. Oh, so, wrong!

Miss Bea is a handful — has been since the day she was born.

At every milestone we’ve thought, “Okay, well I’m sure she’s going to relax/start sleeping/not be so wild or crazy now, right?” And each time she would remind us that she is who she is — a wild one.

And now our little wild one is on the move.

Honest to God, with the exception of two baby gates, we never had to baby proof our home whatsoever for Ari. He just didn’t get himself into dangerous situations.

Miss Bea is … different.

So here’s how we’re prepping for our very mobile, nearly-walking, speed-crawling, spirited child:

• All of the baby gates! Though our home is small, it seems as if you can’t move a few feet without having to unlock some sort of gate to get through. And that’s been a bit of a godsend. I can safely leave her in a contained space while I wash dishes/use the bathroom/change laundry.
  • Plug covers, and drawer and cabinet-stoppers. My sister’s home was just built with those electrical outlets that have built-in baby proofing. And I am so jealous. Because, for the life of me, I cannot seem to get those darn plastic thingys out of the outlets when I need to plug the vacuum in! While, I’ll admit, we did do this for Ari out of caution, he never once actually went for an outlet. But this Miss Bea, she’ll get into every cabinet, every drawer, every space she isn’t allowed to be. So we’ve covered every outlet and we’ve locked every kitchen cabinet and drawer, in hopes to keep her out of spaces she shouldn’t be.
  • Practice the art of doing things quickly. I’m not saying this in jest; I know that if I set her in a contained area, I have about 30-45 seconds to literally run to the other room to grab that item, before she’s gotten herself into something unexpected. So my husband and I have learned to move very, very, quickly.
  • Use Huggies ® Little Movers to prevent yucky leaks. This child has had more blowouts than I care to count, and now that she’s on the move, we needed extra protection.We’re lucky to have a Sam’s Club membership so that we’re able to pick up Huggies ® Little Movers biggest pack ever — a 2-month supply — so that we only have to fit in a trip to the store for diapers once every couple of months!

That’s a huge bonus because that means the best protection for leaks plus I only have to drag both kiddos out to Sam’s Club a handful of times per year!

• Giving her a safe space to play. Supervised playtime, in a space that is as safe as can be expected, is a fantastic way for our little one to learn what she is capable of. That’s right — it’s not all about preventing her from doing things; plenty of her growth and learning at this stage is from just freeplay.
    Our current favorite ‘safe-play space’ is a Little Tikes alligator ball pit. It’s (conveniently) set up in the middle of our living room. Ari has added about a dozen extra toys to the ball pit, just for giggles. And I really do just love watching them play together in it!

So parents, tell me — what is your favorite way to help a spirited child learn and grow while still keeping them safe??

And if you’re not a member of Sam’s Club yet, go check out their membership plans and see how you can save $6 off of the cost of a 2-month supply of Huggies Little Movers — that’s two months for $61.98!

Amanda P January 1, 2017 at 9:28 pm

The exersaucer has been a godsend for me. I pop Matthew in if I need to do laundry or help Jeanette in the bathroom.

Rachel January 1, 2017 at 9:42 pm

That’s how I felt about the jumperoo! But she kind of outgrew it! 🙁

Brittany January 2, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Oh we have a spirited one too! She is older now and becoming more fun, but good luck in those little years! They are fun too though!

Kristen January 2, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Same here! Our second is giving us a run for our money! This is such a great deal- I’ll have to run and pick a pick up!

Hanna Smith January 2, 2017 at 6:24 pm

We have a wild child too!! One thing that really helped me to channel the energy was outdoor activities. In the morning we would water the plants, pick any weeds from the garden, and then in the afternoon we would go to the park or draw with chalk, and go for a walk in the evenings! Hope she settles down a little as she gets older!

Stephanie January 3, 2017 at 10:06 am

My 4 year old gives me a run for my money daily but it’s all worth it because he is just the sweetest guy (when he wants to be!).

Allison at Brainy Business Babe January 3, 2017 at 1:38 pm

My little one has lots of spirit too! I’m sensing that I need to raise my baby-gate game… also that ball pit 🙂

Sheila January 3, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Oh man, my little guy is nonstop motion from the moment he wakes up. I’m with you on having learned to do things very quickly, haha. We had a ball pit for a while that he loved but now we are trying to figure out something else. Maybe I’ll try moving his teepee into the living room. Good luck, mama!

Erin January 3, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Oh how I can relate! I knew we would have to baby proof the house but my three year old and one year old are still proving I have to do a better job daily!

Stefanie January 3, 2017 at 2:41 pm

This describes Liam perfectly. I never had to childproof with my older 3 kids but I did with him!

Heather January 3, 2017 at 3:27 pm

My son was slow to get moving, but once he did… watch out! Into everything! Far more than his companions. I did a mix of classes to wear him out, as well as outdoor activities as much as possible. Rotating a sensory table indoors to keep his attention was another winner. He also loves a good book nook for 20 minutes per day — Whew, time enough for coffee for Mommy! And music calms him down when he starts really winding up. So ITunes is my new best friend.

Jessica Trufant January 3, 2017 at 5:17 pm

I had a little mover and she hasn’t stopped moving!! Never napped, never missed a beat!

Amanda January 3, 2017 at 11:49 pm

ROFL….oh my goodness. Your kids sound like what my mom described as me and my brother. I was the dream child, and my little brother was the wild one. Didn’t sleep through the night until he was 4. He took everything apart that he could (like removing 2 of the hinge pins in the front door to try to take the door off (he was 3 at the time.) I only have one and she is a wild child with a capital WILD. But, she is sweet and loving, too. I just want to sleep for more than 4 hours straight…Make it 8…a mom can dream, right?

Amy January 4, 2017 at 9:06 pm

These are great tips! I love safety gates for blocking off the upstairs and downstairs. I have two very curious little ones.

Danielle January 5, 2017 at 8:28 am

I hear you! We didn’t really baby proof much with our first. Our second though…

Jessica January 5, 2017 at 10:01 pm

My oldest was our wild child. My second has been so mellow compared to him. I don’t know how I would have handled it if it were the other way around!

Savanna January 7, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Oh man kids are all so different it is crazy!! It sounds like y’all are doing a great job!

Erica Nicole January 7, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Love your sweet little wild girl! Reminds me so much of my own!

jessica January 8, 2017 at 8:53 am

my daughter is wild one too.

Tamara January 9, 2017 at 10:18 pm

We just started using Huggies Little Movers with our youngest… such a game changer!

April January 11, 2017 at 8:24 am

She is so cute, we used to also use the ballpit for my daughter

Patricia January 11, 2017 at 9:59 am

She sure is adorable! We love Huggies too!

Kim January 11, 2017 at 8:55 pm

She sounds like my wild one! We had to get a baby corral to keep her contained so we could do ANYTHING! Love that cute face too 🙂 She looks like fun!

Leah | Five for the Road January 11, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Loved having a diaper that I could depend on when my kids were little. Sounds like you have a fun little one!

Brittany January 12, 2017 at 11:05 am

Yes to the less amount of trips to the store per year. Dragging the kids out to the store is NO FUN!

Ashley January 12, 2017 at 9:15 pm

These are some great tips!

Amy January 12, 2017 at 11:19 pm

Get outside as much as you can. Let her roam free!

Jessica January 13, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I hate taking the kids to the store. The less I have to go the better! We are huge Huggies fans around here.

Shela Yount | I Answer to Mom January 13, 2017 at 3:49 pm

I LOVED this post! So cute and I can totally relate!!! <3

Doris January 14, 2017 at 4:39 pm

My daughter is wild from morning till evening and it takes quite some energy…

Esther Pisano January 16, 2017 at 11:44 pm

We love huggies in our house too! My son is potty training so hopefully he won’t be in them for much longer! They’re my favorite for at night

Jenna January 17, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Such great tips and the ball pit is such a fun toy to have! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, J

Lindsey January 23, 2017 at 4:24 pm

I don’t know what we would’ve done without our Huggies diapers and wipes when my girls weren’t potty trained! They were a lifesaver!

Kelly January 24, 2017 at 8:58 pm

“Practice the art of doing things quickly” 😂😂 Nailed it. That is motherhood in a nutshell!