Post-Election Thoughts //

November 10, 2016 in feminism,life,mommyhood,the movement,the pursuit

It’s been a hard week, y’all. I’ve been writing and writing and writing. I just can’t seem to hit “publish.” And maybe it’s best that way. Maybe it’s best to just sit on our thoughts…

But yesterday I broke my silence. After many tears, and in the process of mourning, I finally made some decisions. I decided that I don’t want to remain quiet any longer. I’ve always considered myself to be progressive, but I’ve finally acknowledged that I am, indeed, a feminist.

img_2624
There. I said it. I’m acknowledging it.

And, through months and months of arguing with people during the campaign, I finally opened up civil dialogue about my thoughts and feelings. I summed it up in this post…

Surprisingly, it went swimmingly. Granted, there were two ridiculously aggressive commenters. But those comments were immediately deleted and those people unfriended.

Some may think, “Really? You *had* to unfriend them??

And, to that, I answer, YES. Yes, I had to. I am so done. If they can’t engage in civil discourse then there is no need for me to engage with them; and there is no need for me to remain acquaintances with them. Heck, I just had to distance myself from a (not very close) family member!

Done and done!

img_2626
So if you  need me, here’s where I’ll be:

• Supporting all of my LGBTQ friends — and letting them know that I am an ally.
  • Seeking out and truly getting to know my local politicians — and getting involved in local movements I can get behind!
  • Get 1000% more involved in my local community in general.
  • Standing up for women. I’m no longer going to be a closet-feminist. Ya know why?? Bitches get stuff done!
  • Speaking out about the fear that women go through on a daily basis.

These are just a few things I plan on doing. Seriously. This list will grow. So be warned, friends. I hope you’ll stay with me on this journey. It’s a journey of acceptance, love, and moving forward. xo

PS. You don’t have to be a HRC supporter to support the above quote from her concession speech yesterday.

Brittany Ashmore November 12, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Thanks for sharing! This is definitely a time where we need to support and love each other more than ever 🙂

Ashley November 12, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Such a great post full of heart. I love so many of the viewpoints!

Maya November 13, 2016 at 9:00 am

Honestly, after the election results I was not sad or mad, I was and I am still scared. As a Black woman, I am not afraid of a Trump presidency per se, I am terrified of his supports. I put this message on my Facebook page, I would love your perspective…

Crazy enough I am kind of glad Donald Trump won and before you crucify me, read completely to the end. By electing Donald Trump, America has validated that racism, bigotry, and sexism is a strong fabric of our nation’s DNA. Donald Trump validates that this way of thinking is ingrained and generational. He validates that every time an unarmed minority is murdered by the police it IS based on an ingrained idea that minorities are criminals. He validates every time a Muslim American is treated like a terrorist it IS on an inbred notion of intolerance. He validates that a white, Christian male can do and say whatever they want and be rewarded for it IS very prevalent. Trump validates all of these racist, intolerant, sexist, or any other -ist we have been saying exist since the inception of the USA. Trump validates all of these arguments that people say do not exist. So, thank you, Donald Trump for helping to bolster our argument.

You being elected shows the WORLD what truly is the essence of America. Thank you for showing the world what a “Trumpist” looks like. Best Wishes.

Lastly, I would recommend not unfriending them! I haven’t. I have engaged and will continue to engage with them so they see another point of view!

GREAT POST!

Maya
IG: @JustMeOMaya

Rachel November 13, 2016 at 12:10 pm

I LOVE this!!

Nicole Banuelos November 14, 2016 at 12:35 am

So much yes! Its been hard to get on social media, even now, a week later.

Lauren November 14, 2016 at 9:44 am

Kindness and love are basically my motto at this point. We live in Washington DC and have had a front row seat to two presidential elections. The process is a dirty and messy business. It’s hard on my heart and hard on my conscience. XO

Amber Battishill November 14, 2016 at 10:18 am

I’m with you and feel very similar. I’ve taken the past week off of social media after too many harsh words being slung back and forth and a lack of empathy from so many people. I no longer plan to sit back and will instead speak up. It’s a very pivotal time in our country and I think that wenn ed to stand stronger in our convictions than ever before. I’m no so much scared of Trumo, but his words have emboldened those that are hateful towards minorities. His cabinet picks are terrible too!

Beth Newcomb November 14, 2016 at 3:37 pm

I’m with you girl! I’ve been doing the same!

Katie November 14, 2016 at 5:32 pm

I’m all about kindness and love! We need to respect one another right now. It was a tough week for us all.

Maggie November 14, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Love this! And thank you! I am so tired of hearing all the hate from both sides. Our unity is more important now than ever! Thank you for sharing this!

anna strazi November 15, 2016 at 5:07 am

Love this and the unity!

Lindsay November 15, 2016 at 9:59 am

I’ll be right there with you lady! I’m so over all of the hate too!