After the week we had last week, all I can say is — BRING IT ON, UNIVERSE! Seriously. Last week was rough. I feel like the odds have to be in our favor this week. You can’t have two super crappy weeks in a row, am I right??
I think Chad & I really did our best to roll with the punches and find the humor in it all. We finally thought our ‘hell week’ was over so Chad thought it would be a great idea to go out for a family dinner — which is something we haven’t done in a while. So we went to a local Thai restaurant. All was going well. We ordered a couple of appetizers that Ari could eat (my meal had egg in it, so it was off-limits to our allergic babe!), we brought plenty of distractions (ie. toys), and things were going fine.
… until he started to choke on a bite of tofu. I’m not certain if it was a piece that was too tough or what, but he caused me the worst scare. Ever. Chad pounded on his back hard enough that he finally coughed and spit up. Ari shook it off like ‘no big’ and then started eating more. I, on the other hand, was shaking like a leaf. None of the other patrons even noticed!
I was a bit clingy to Ari from then on. And it turns out, for good reason. The kid was eating a lot of Daddy’s Beef Orange (it was supposed to be hot, but it was just mild on the spice — and Ari loves spicy food). Like, a LOT of beef orange. He was double-fisting it! Which was fine until he forgot to chew. I had gotten up with him mid-chew and brought him to the front of the restaurant. He was starting to get tired of sitting. So we were ‘sight-seeing’ near the window. And that’s when he started to choke. I looked at Chad and he mouthed something along the lines of “Should I get up?” and I think my face showed panic as I nodded “YES!”
I tried to get him to cough it out, but that didn’t seem to be working. In a panic, my instinct kicked in. I stuck my finger in his mouth, pulled out the food, and swept the back for anything that might be left over. It took me a moment to realize that in doing so, he had vomited all over me, all over the chair, and all over the floor. He ended up just shaking it off (again). And we ended up cleaning up very quickly & very discreetly. Seriously. No one even noticed (who ARE these people!? HA!).
And ya know what? We didn’t let it ruin our night! Seriously! We just rolled with it. It was kinda funny. Well, it was funny much later in the night. But we ended up grocery shopping after the whole debacle.
And I guess that makes me feel like we’ve totally earned our stripes as parents. We’ve officially ‘made it.’ Sometimes it takes a rough parenting moment to realize it. But it happens.
(Sidenote: If you’re not a parent you may think this story is truly messed up. But honestly as a parent you kinda feel like this is just one of those things that you eventually go through. My parents have told me stories about myself as a child — like the time I ate (and choked) on a cigarette as an infant while my dad was walking with me (very proudly) through the mall; or the time I choked on a granola bar my aunt gave me. Don’t get me wrong. I’m terrified that it happened. But he’s OK. So we’re OK.).
So in addition to feeling like it can only get better from here thanks to that uber-challenging week; it’s also the week I’ll be live-tweeting from the In The CLE twitter page! We have a pretty packed & pretty fun week planned.
And honestly if this week goes south like last week did? Well, it’s all in what you make of it. And it isn’t so bad afterall.