One week ago my baby boy turned 6-months old.
And I officially want to stop time.
Not because time is flying by — even though it is — but because this age is so much fun!
– We went from waking up every 2 hours to waking up two to 3 times a night. Which is better than before. But as if on queue, the eve of Ari’s 6-month birthday he slept straight through the night — from 7:30 PM to 6:30 AM! Ya know what I said to that?? That little stinker waited til exactly his 6-month birthday to sleep through the night, as if to torture us. Ha!
– And about 2 weeks ago he started rolling onto his belly to sleep, which probably greatly assisted him sleeping through the night. At first the tummy sleeping worried me — I thought he was going to suffocate himself; but he seems to sleep so comfortably and he can roll onto his back whenever he wants. So no longer worried.
– He’s still eating a ton. We finally realized that only the Medela breastpump bottles work for us. After struggling to get Ari to eat from other bottles, we gave in. Which I think is great and annoying at the same time. Annoying because I have other bottles that are useless. But great because I can pump directly into the bottles he drinks from.
– My milk supply is still about the same. I’m getting in an extra pumping session in the early morning hours [around 2:30 am] before I head to the gym, which is helping with supply issues. But I don’t know if I’ll ever not be nervous about keeping up with Ari’s appetite.
– We haven’t started on any solids yet. Some people think we’re shuffling our feet, but I’m kind of proud of the fact that he’s been Exclusively Breastfed since day one. Plus I’m considering taking the Baby Led Weaning approach.
– He hasn’t started crawling yet. But he’s mastered the rolling-to-get-wherever-I-want movement. I keep setting my phone a couple of feet away so that he’ll crawl to it. Instead he rolls over three times to get to it.
– He is pretty good at sitting up by himself, but he’s still a bit wobbly. He’s had his fair share of face-plants because of it!
– Practically overnight, his 3-6 months clothes have gotten snug on him.
– He’s about 16 pounds now. Packing on some healthy chunk, but definitely still in a lower percentile.
– And he’s still in size 2 diapers, but I’m guessing we’ve purchased our last box of this particular size. Movin’ on up!
– The babbling is taking a new form and he’s starting to mimic sounds more consistently. I had been warned that babies have an easier time saying a word like Dada than Mama, and so when he started making the dadadada sound over and over again, I wasn’t surprised.
– He’s way too attached to my iPhone. He’s accidentally sent Tweets and taken Instagram pictures of himself via my phone. And when I take it away? It gets ugly. Fast. He screams. Admittedly, the first couple of times it was hilarious. But kid needs to seriously check himself. He has a temper already and we’re kind of worried.
– He turns on his mobile by himself when he’s bored and awake in his crib. Then when I find him, he looks all surprised when he looks up at me, and just giggles.
– When he’s super hungry and I grab a bottle from the fridge and show it to him, he starts to practically scream and reach for it until you put it in his mouth.
– It’s hard to believe that the baby who used to scream for hours and hours on end is now this smiley little guy with a huge personality.
– We went on another couple of dates. A few weeks ago my mom came up from Kentucky and watched Ari for us on a Saturday while we went out for lunch at BAC. And the next week our sitters high school-aged daughter watched him while we went to the Indians game.
– While Chad and I have been pretty good about scheduling solo dates we’ve also been including Ari in things that we would just normally do — like go out for sushi.