so this is life.

March 25, 2010 in job,life

I have a loaded question to ask.

Is it possible to make money WHILE doing something that you love?

I’m not certain, but it’s something that I’ve been thinking a lot about lately. I want to live my life with a greater cause than how I am now. I want to do something that I’m proud of, even if it means making less money.

I wish I had all of the right answers. I wish I didn’t feel like the only person in the world who goes through this. I wish I didn’t feel like the only person that often sometimes makes the wrong decision.

Sigh.

Oh, these thoughts are far too deep for a Wednesday.

Molly March 25, 2010 at 1:25 am

now that would be perfect! i think there are people that love what they do. my hubby really loves what he does, but it still can be super stressful.

good luck, gal. the right thing will come to you.

Chelsa Bea March 25, 2010 at 2:10 am

Oh my dear, how often these same thoughts cross my mind. Just so you know, you are not alone. When your mind starts to run, just remember to breath.

Stephanie March 25, 2010 at 2:20 am

Ugh! It's the million dollar question… I honestly don't know. I know that I basically hated my old job. The job that I went to undergrad for. It was horrible (like my-alarm-went-off-can-I-call-in-dead? horrible). And, I know that there is a better fit for me than that. Will I LOVE physical therapy? I hope so. Will I make more money? yeah… but I hope I love it more than I hope I make more money. Cuz I don't ever want to be back at that place where I would rather jump in the river than go to my job!

Good luck pretty lady. Good thing we are young and courageous and have our whole lives to figure it out!

RAW March 25, 2010 at 2:41 am

Sometimes I wonder, too. At the end of the day work is work. I think no sooner would you begin a labor of love that the “labor” part would become dominant.

I will say, though, working in the non-profit sector for an organization I enjoy makes going to work mildly enjoyable. Have you ever thought about taking your work skills and going the non-profit route?

Chelle March 25, 2010 at 3:25 am

I'm a teacher with a stay at home husband. We can pay the bills, vacation, and put money into a saving's acct on a teacher's salary. It can be done if you are smart about it. I have never regretted cutting back to one salary. Follow your heart. Always.

Erica Leigh March 25, 2010 at 5:36 am

i've been wondering this a lot too lately, since i finished school in december.

it's rare to find someone who has a job and LOVE what they do, but i'm determined to find something i do love. even if i don't know what it is yet.

i hope you find yours too! it's possible, i'm sure. <3

Jen March 25, 2010 at 10:13 am

I think about this ALL The time; especially when I see people write on FB how much they LOVE their job and I'm like “really?” Yeah, mine is not awful and I like what I do, but to post on FB that I love it may be a little out of reach.

Jen March 25, 2010 at 10:13 am

Oh and FWIW, most people that post this are people who work for themselves LOL So that MAY have something to do with it!

Mrs. Lopez March 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm

You definitely can! But just because you are doing something that you love doesnt mean that there aren't going to be bad days and sometimes where you will complain. But if its what you love then that doesnt matter.

Krystyn March 25, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I think making less money at a job that will make you happy is way better than making a lot of money and being miserable.

Having said that, I'm not a risk-taker at all.

Good luck with your decision.

JW.BW March 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm

probably if you only LOVE working 100 hours a week… you could make money doing that 🙂

other than that… I say Work to live, dont live to work

thisgirlsjourney March 25, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Hey, I just found your blog, I'm pondering life and careers etc at the moment as well. I think some people manage it. Some people do a job and leave and do the stuff they love outside of work.

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... March 25, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Perhaps the better question would be, “Is it possible to make enough money doing something you love?!” I think so, although you may not be rich! I do a job that I love (in general), but nurses aren't known for being particularly wealthy. Still, I'd rather be happy than rich 🙂

Rachel March 25, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I question this all the time.

I think you have to love what you do to be a happy person, but you also have to have enough money to be happy. I understand that happiness should come before wealth, but not enough money will cause you to be unhappy.

Carolyn March 27, 2010 at 1:43 am

For a lucky few, you can do what you love and make loads of money. But for most, I think it's a battle between money and happiness. Sad but true! I'm leaning on the side of happiness. 😉

Lisa March 27, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Hey Rachel-
I think your email might have just been hacked into. I received an email from your actual email addressing saying that you're in London, got mugged, and need $1000 wired to you immediately. Just wanted to let you know!
Lisa

Erica Leigh March 28, 2010 at 5:31 am

like lisa, i got an e-mail from “you” also asking for $1000, but i mean, you didn't blog about being in london. seemed scammy. just thought you should know, in case you need to change your password or something!

erica

TheAnalyst April 3, 2010 at 2:38 am

Certainly, just you may not be wealthy. It depends on your view on money. If money buys you happiness, maybe not. But if your happiness doesn't come from money, then I bet you can.

Melly Mel April 14, 2010 at 4:01 am