writer’s workshop: what’s cookin’ in my crock pot.

October 8, 2009 in life,writers workshop

Mama Kat wants to know what’s cooking in my crock pot.

I’ll tell you what’s cooking…

NOTHING.

Why? Because I don’t have a crock pot. Although there has certainly been some heavy crock pot discussion lately (no joke).

BF wanted to buy me a crock pot for my birthday (I’m not actually sure why – perhaps it’s because I’ve expressed some desire to learn how to cook, but honesetly… I’d rather bake cookies).

Here is why getting a crock pot (or really any other kitchen gadget) is a bad idea.

Not only will I probably burn/ruin whatever I make, but BF and I will once again be living together. And he has EVERY kitchen gadget ever invented. Every.Single.One.

Don’t believe me? Try this:

Crock pot – check.

Food dehydrator – check.

Rice cooker – check (and yes, it does play twinkle, twinkle, little star when it starts so now I associate that nursery rhyme with rice).

Slider hamburger bun maker/mini burger mold – check.

Flexible skewers – check.

Snow cone maker – check.

5 minute marinader – check.

Now let’s go over what I have in my kitchen:

Stove. Refrigerator. Toaster. Microwave (and I tried to reject the microwave gift from my parents–I think it makes me a lazier person).

So… why get any kitchen gadgets when BF and I will have double soon?

Ashlee October 8, 2009 at 11:44 am

This post has been removed by the author.

Ashlee October 8, 2009 at 11:45 am

LOL! I really want that slider maker..how fun would that be for BBQ's!? And I could use a snowcone maker.. I use to have snoopy one when I was kid {i was so cool}

I feel like that is a man thing to have EVERY appliance! Like fleixble skeweres!? REALLY?!

lol stopping by from MamaKats!

Karen & Gerard Zemek October 8, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I have nothing in my crockpot either (my post will go up Sunday). I too am not a cook and I think I even have you beat because I don't even own a stove! We threw it away after only using it once to bake cookies. Now we have room in our kitchen for a table: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2008/07/living-with-no-stove-good-decision.html

Visiting from MamaKats.

~**Dawn**~ October 8, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I feel the exact same way about it. I'm just lucky enough that I can borrow the ones I don't have! 😉

Mrs. Lopez October 8, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Wow those are some interesting kitchen gadgets. I cook and we have a lot of stuff and yes we have a crock pot but no food dehydrator or snow cone machine.

Adorably Distracted... October 8, 2009 at 1:16 pm

i JUST used my crockpot the other day… i don't get what the big deal is about it!

And I would love to get that hamburger thing!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) October 8, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Good rationale. If you're going to have one eventually…
I'm not a big crockpot food fan. Most of the time it all just tastes the same. I do make a mean tortillasoup in mine so I keep it around for that.

Megan October 8, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I promise the crock pot is super easy! The nice thing about it, is you can make dinner in the morning, and then not have to lift a finger all day long! Very nice to have after a long day of work!

Valerie {Next to Heaven} October 8, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I completely agree with you!

. October 8, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I don't have a crock pot either. I might have to invest in one!

amy October 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I got lucky…all the kitchen appliances/dishes I have were from my former roommate. She got married and left everything to me (since she got all new stuff).

Summer October 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm

What ARE all those things?!? And how can you make a sandwich with any of them?

=)

{JANE} October 8, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Your BF has some amazing kitchen gadgets. How amazing! That 5 minute marinater is so cool (yes I realize I just said a meat marinater was cool, so what…)

PS: Happy Belated Birthday!

Margarita October 8, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Don't let him buy you a freaking kitchen appliance. DIAMONDS darling! And nothing less!!

*krystyn* October 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I do have a slow cooker/crock pot & I tell ya' what…that is SOOOO my style of cooking…aka…put all the crap in there, turn on, walk away. come back 4 hrs later – eat. awesome!!

I actually made some killer slow cooker lasagna the other night. it was delish!

Gwen October 8, 2009 at 5:09 pm

We have a rice steamer but it doesn't sing to me. Now I need to find the singing one. LOL!!! XOXO

Trac~ October 8, 2009 at 5:13 pm

LOL too funny! I didn't realize rice steamers actually played music! And I love the slider stuff – I may have to think about giving that to my husband for Christmas this year. But, I'm with you unless you are going to be living in a HUGE house with a HUGE amount of cabinet space – why in the world would you need any extra appliances that will probably end up getting sold at a garage sale later anyway! LOL :o)

Kim October 8, 2009 at 5:36 pm

My husband is one of those kitchen gadget lovers…I'm convinced it's a ploy to keep me in the kitchen. Your BF has some stuff the hubby hasn't mentioned (and my lips are sealed).

Southern Champagne Wishes October 8, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Wow! He does have some great things – I am especially jealous of the snow cone maker (which I have seen all summer at the stores and could have gotten, but figured I'd use it once)! And, I love those skewers as well. You are going to have such fun with kitchen gadgets when you move in together!

Seashells&Sunshine October 8, 2009 at 5:58 pm

yeah definitely didn't know those items existed! except for the rice cooker, which I have and love. although mine isn't fancy or play music… hah

Martinis or Diaper Genies? October 8, 2009 at 7:27 pm

you TOTES need a crock pot! It's the answer to being an awesome wife. Or pretending.

Raine October 8, 2009 at 7:33 pm

wow he does have a lot of gadgets!

crock pots seriously rock, though. You can never have enough 😀

Lil' Woman October 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Is BF moving to Syracuse!?!?

Optimistic Pessimist October 8, 2009 at 11:48 pm

i heart all of bf's kitchen appliances! i love kitchen appliances…but i hate cleaning them so i never use 'em!

JAMIE October 9, 2009 at 12:21 am

I left you a little present on my blog!

Jen October 9, 2009 at 2:19 am

My husband got my appliances the first year we were dating.

He seemed to think a Hello Kitty Milkshake maker was thing thing I needed!

Adorable site! :o)

JW.BW October 9, 2009 at 4:50 am

Rach – I promise, its really REALLY hard to mess something up in the crockpot. It might just be the intro to cooking you need to get inspired!! honestly, u just throw everything in there and viola!! Magic yummy food. and they make MINI crock pots, thats what u need!! That way you wont be doubling gadgets either. BBB n I have 3 different size crock pots!

Jessica October 9, 2009 at 6:54 am

So how bad is it that when I read the title I totally read “crack pipe”?! Pretty bad, huh?

Secret Sylvia October 9, 2009 at 12:40 pm

haha…I have a kerosene heater that plays Twinkle Little Star when it's time to refill it! I forever associate that tune with living in Japan (no central heating). That fancy rice cooker reminds me of Japan, as well, where there's no such thing as a cheap $20 rice cooker. I guess all rice cookers are to supplied with a timer so you can tell it when to have your rice done the next day. Crazy fancy rice cookers going on here…

Together We Save October 9, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Your boyfriend has so many gadgets… does he cook? I am not a great chief but I do love my crock pot.

Simply Valorie October 10, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Hahah too funny. And too true — what's the point?

Nicole-Lynn October 14, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I need a crock pot too! Especially to make some turkey chili when it starts to get cold! I'm holding out though, adding that puppy to my registry when I get engaged 🙂

Anonymous December 3, 2009 at 3:01 am

Dear Author http://www.itsahero.com !
In my opinion you are not right. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.