writer’s workshop: what marriage means to me

September 10, 2009 in writers workshop

I never thought I wanted to get married. I never thought I was the marrying type. I was always dating someone. They were never important to me. They were just the next best thing–someone to keep me company in the meantime. Then I met him. I fell in love with him before our first date (another post, another day). I realized that the reason I never wanted to get married and never thought that marriage was important was because I hadn’t met him yet.

Shortly after we started dating, I knew that never again did I want to be without him, my best friend. While we are not married, it does give me a new outlook on marriage. Now I want to be married. I’m a changed girl (thanks to BF). Now I want a life long commitment to my best friend.

This has been part of Mama Kat’s Writer’s Wor
kshop. Topic: What does marriage mean to you?

JW.BW September 10, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I never took marriage seriously before BBB, even though I had been married before. My first marriage was just something I did so there would be someone waiting for me when I got home from my second depolyment and so of course it didnt work out.
My marriage now is much different. I knew BBB and I were going to get married very early in our relationship, I had never been happier, but more importantly he was someone who mattered more to me than myself. He is the only person in my life that I would give up everything for and that's what marriage means to me.

Gwen September 10, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Oh how sweet. I had the same immediate feeling with Brian. I actually told my Dad when I got home from our first date that I would marry him some day. I think when it's right you really just KNOW!!! XOXO

Lyryn September 10, 2009 at 3:02 pm

That is so beautiful. You know that you found your match! 😉

Beth Dunn September 10, 2009 at 3:21 pm

That is how you know you found the one. I love being married. But what does it mean to me? I guess never having to go it alone! xoxo

*krystyn* September 10, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Awww – so sweet. does he read your blog?

Summer Wind September 10, 2009 at 4:03 pm

so cute!

Travel & Dive Girl September 10, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Very nice! I am married to my best friend and have been for 20 yrs. Although, there are times when he grates on my every last nerve, I couldn't imagine myself without him.

Congratulations!

Sew.What. September 10, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Yay for finding “the one”.

Southern Champagne Wishes September 10, 2009 at 5:04 pm

This is really great! I loved reading it and it brought a smile to my face!

Tara Gibson September 10, 2009 at 6:08 pm

awwwww! its amazing how one man can change your outlook on everything!

dreaming in pink and green September 10, 2009 at 6:14 pm

awww 🙂 so cute…so glad you know you found “THE ONE” !

marriage is waking up next to your husband and best friend everyday…finding someone who makes you a better person and helps expand your outlook on things….and in my case, it's finding someone who can deal with my moodiness (at times) ha ha 🙂

~**Dawn**~ September 10, 2009 at 6:17 pm

When I was younger, I wanted nothing more. Twelve years, two six-year relationships that devolved into heartbreak & one crushed spirit later, I decided “no thank you, not worth it.” That was three years ago. The right or wrong guy can certainly have a profound effect on one's outlook on marriage.

Annie September 10, 2009 at 6:22 pm

so stinking cute!!
i love it!
you have definately found the one 🙂

Margaret aka: Fact Woman September 10, 2009 at 8:29 pm

You put it splendidly! I hope BBB gets to read this!

Valerie {Next to Heaven} September 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm

wonderfully said. I'm happy for you!!

Lil' Woman September 11, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I never really thought about marriage till I met Big Man. I always thought I would get married in the future but with other guys I never had the feeling like I do with him!

Melly Mel September 20, 2009 at 7:44 am

i'm so glad you are married to your best friend.
that's adorable rachel.