Totally Awkward Talk

August 4, 2009 in family,totally awkward tuesday

Happy Tuesday, loves! Yes I have the day off from work today, but I’m up early to go car shopping with my father. He has very generously offered up his time and knowledge to help me find a used new car! So we are hitting the dealerships early.

But what would a Tuesday be if not Totally Awkward?!? And since I’m spending the day with my dear dad, why not dedicate this post to family.

So as a child I was very quiet. I kept to myself, made excellent choices, behaved like a saint. So my parents decided to have another. Welcome, sister! She was not nearly as quiet. She also liked to find out information. A lot of information.

Let me take a moment to set the scene… Lil Sis, me, mom and dad at the dinner table. I’m maybe 14. She’s all of 12.

Lil Sis: “Weren’t you engaged once before mom?”
Dad: “Yes for a little while.”
Lil Sis: “Did you have sex with her?”
Dad: “Uh yes.” (brutally honest, my parents)
Lil Sis: “How old were you when you first had sex?”

Dad answered with a ridiculously young age.

Meanwhile I am next to Lil Sis asking her to PLEASE shut up. Begging her really. See I never wanted to know these things. Lil Sis is slightly more curious than I. Still to this day. And I know more about my parents than I do some of my dear friends. *sigh*

TheAnalyst August 4, 2009 at 11:44 am

I would have died! That is awkward! Hahah.

Melita August 4, 2009 at 12:12 pm

lol that i sooo funny.

Heather (Live.Love.Laugh.) August 4, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Too funny. Have a good day off! I had yesterday off and it was awesome.

Skinny Bitches in the Making August 4, 2009 at 2:10 pm

That would have been the moment I went to the ladies room and never returned till they brought the bill around. it's still funny though!

d.a.r. August 4, 2009 at 2:33 pm

OMG!!! That is so awkward, but hilarious! Probably not so funny at the time though ๐Ÿ™‚

~**Dawn**~ August 4, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Maybe this little story will make you feel better. When my dad got remarried 12 years ago, his wife wanted to have a baby, because she'd never had one, so he agreed (even though my brother & I were 17 & 20). Here's the thing though. Apparently she was taking Paxil for anxiety & she had to come off it because it wasn't safe to take while pregnant. And let's just say that one of the side effects of taking it disappeared. One day my Dad & I were out running some errands & he mentioned how he practically had to beat his wife away from him at night with a baseball bat, there was such a notable increase. Now mind you, I knew they were trying to have a baby & I *know* how this is generally accomplished. BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. I was still living 20 feet away down the hall!! I do not need this information! I calmly said “Dad? We can discuss your sex life when we can discuss mine.” He's never mentioned the topic again. LOL!!!

Shannon Dew August 4, 2009 at 2:55 pm

LOL this made me smile on this craptastic day I'm having!

*krystyn* August 4, 2009 at 3:01 pm

That is funny and I can see the awkwardness in it too. Eeeks – I guess that's a benefit to being an only child.

And Dawn's story – OMG!!! TMI dad!! Thank.You.Very.Much! Did they have a baby?

Megan August 4, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Oh my goodness! I think it's great that your family can be so open and honest with each other, even if it is akward!

~**Dawn**~ August 4, 2009 at 3:04 pm

K13: They sure did. My half-brother Zachary is not quite 22 years younger than me. They found out they were having a baby on my 21st birthday.

Children of the 90s August 4, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Haha, that is pretty funny! At least they're honest, I'm sure my parents would have lied.

Raine August 4, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Serious TMI!

Jessica August 4, 2009 at 4:52 pm

*crickets*

Sophie โ˜… August 4, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I have that EXACT same problem with my little sister ) her asking toomuch). As much as i often plead her to stop asking, she carrys on and my mother and father are always happy to answer !
So very cringey/awkward !

Molly August 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I am that little sister!
You poor, reserved big sisters. So sorry. ๐Ÿ™‚

Milltini August 5, 2009 at 12:22 am

so funny! your blog is so cute, you have a new follower ๐Ÿ˜‰

JW.BW August 5, 2009 at 1:36 am

Oooooo… My little brother totally did some crap like this, but it was about ME!! I was home from college, I was 18, for thanksgiving and we were having dinner. And my little brother said “do you have a boyfriend?” and I said yes, and told him a little about Alex. He said “oo. well do you have SEX with him???”

fantastic… totally lost my appetite and was soooo embarrassed. He still loves to tell that story, and of course I still cant stand it..

Summer Wind August 5, 2009 at 5:54 am

hahah this is just downright hilarious, however, I can totally see how you must have been mortified! Oh and about the jeans, I hate jeans because I can never feel comfortable in them. I have many great pairs that look great (to me) but just aren't cutting it in the comfort department. I love wearing breezy things like dresses and skirts more!

~M~ August 5, 2009 at 6:19 am

ha ha!!

Southern Champagne Wishes August 5, 2009 at 6:42 am

That is so funny, but I was cringing when I read it – I don't know what I would've done if it had happened to me!

Lara August 5, 2009 at 11:17 am

LOL, something similar happened to me. My little brother, who was 12 at the time, had broken up with his then girlfriend because she didnt' want to sleep with him. When my parents found out about this, they set aside time to try to remind him that sex at that age was stupid, and that he should wait until he's an adult.

He roped in our help, and it turned into a conversation of when we each lost ours (I mean, my parents, my older brother and I).

And shame of shames; I was the youngest. My poor father now knows that I'm the hussey of the family.

But to be fair, I was legal, and I did end up marrying him.

In this wonderful life... August 5, 2009 at 1:14 pm

oh goodness!! I wouldn't have wanted to hear this!!

headbitingprincess August 5, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Ohhh Rachel !!!!! poor dear …
Been down the parents TMI road (thanks mum) < gag >
seriously .. there is a reason we have an age old saying “ignorance is bliss”
we wish not to be scarred for life !!!!!
case n point .. you remember this occurrence from when you were 14 ish
LOL – hope ya had a good day off

Brunch at Saks August 5, 2009 at 3:29 pm

This story is hilarious! I don't want to know that kind of information either, but alas, I too have a little sis who is much more than I am to handle! Ha!
Good luck car shopping and thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I am so happy you did because yours is lovely! Looking forward to reading more ๐Ÿ™‚ XOXO

sarah August 5, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Ha! AWKWARD!

JennyMac August 5, 2009 at 5:50 pm

HAHAHA…love an outspoken young lady in the making. And bless your Dad for even answering. LOL.

Diane J. August 5, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Oh my, that is funny! Darn sisters!

Lil' Woman August 6, 2009 at 12:41 pm