Totally Awkward Tuesday: going to hell

June 30, 2009 in tattoo,totally awkward tuesday

Today’s Totally Awkward Tuesday post is a mixture of an extremely awkward situation for me, and a post about something y’all have asked me about in previous posts.
So to give you a little background on myself, let me begin by saying I am not a religious person. It’s not that I am anti-religion in any way, I just am not a religious person. I hope that this does not bother you and I hope not to offend anyone. I am who I am. I’m not going to tell you that I am “spiritual” because that would be a little too cliche for me. I have, however, become comfortable with who I am and where I am at.

I was raised Roman Catholic. I was very involved in my church growing up and even into my college years. But for reasons that shall remain personal to me and not be posted on this blog, I no longer attend or associate with any religious sect. It’s personal and I am not trying to offend anyone. Promise.

{Tree Tattoo: located on the inside of my right arm}

{Strength: located on the inside of my left wrist}

{Voice: Inside of my right wrist}

{Leaves on my feet!}

So, anyways, I have always been very careful at separating my personal life from my work life (ehh, maybe I haven’t always been careful, but this is def something I have learned along the way and watch very closely now. Lessons learned). But last August my company paid our department to go on a team building outing (two of our departments were merging and they thought this would be a great way to bring us all together). We went on a picnic, complete with volleyball, kickball and a canoe trip. I had to come into work for a few hours prior to the outing to work on some crucial projects. After I had finished my couple hours of work, I decided to change in the bathroom located on our main floor of the building.

It was an excruciatingly hot day. Like, 98 degrees or something ridiculous (OK, for Ohio that is very ridiculous). Per our management team, shorts and a tank top were completely acceptable at this event. My department was full of mostly women. The other department (a techie group) was full of mostly men. Though I was hesitant, I changed into something I knew I would be comfy in: sports shorts and a racer back tank.

I walked out of the bathroom and was greeted by two women I work with. They happen to be two women I have to train. They approached me about my tattoos, which isn’t necessarily out of the ordinary. People ask me about them all the time (hence the reason I included pictures when referring to them this time!). But then they blurted out “Jesus hates your tattoos.”

I just stood there.

In shock. And smiled. Because I didn’t know what to say. But I was enraged. I had never had someone so blatantly tell me what was on their mind. And it was hurtful. And I am not a hurtful person, so I didn’t even mumble a rebuttal. And I walked away and got very upset that someone would even say that.

How awkward they made me feel that I would have to continue working with them after making comments like that!

To top off the awkwardness of the day, during our outing someone was taking photographs for the department website. I thought nothing of it… until I actually SAW the pictures. There are pictures of everyone from the outing… but during the game of kickball (where I had to round the bases ONCE) there were pretty much 30 pictures of me rounding the bases… in a tanktop… and, yeah. Umm… awkward. LOL.

Hope you enjoy. it was awkward even to write about. 😛

The Preppy Polka Dot June 30, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Aww Rachel! WTF? That's so unfair!
I think you're tattoos are amazing and think it's awesome that you are strong to believe in what you want to. 🙂

*krystyn* June 30, 2009 at 3:30 pm

You didn't offend me. I appreciate a person who is true to themself!! Great tattoos also! As for that crazy comment from the lady – whoa – that's way out of line. Not sure how I would have responded either.

Analiese June 30, 2009 at 3:37 pm

What an odd comment! Gah…I hate when stuff like that happens and it's so inappropriate that you don't even know what to say! I think your tats are cool!

gorrión June 30, 2009 at 3:56 pm

What!? I have a tattoo and I'm a Christian. I can't believe they said something so randomly judgmental… Chalk it up to ignorance. Oh, and I like your tats… 😀

ashley-cita June 30, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Whaaaa? Who says things like that?!
LOL. And, is that a *nose* next to your feet?

Rachel June 30, 2009 at 4:00 pm

LOL. Thanks guys!

And yes, that is a nose next to my feet! I hoped no one would notice. My sister and I were being goofy the night I graduated college and taking silly pictures, so she stuck her face in the picture… just so happened to be near my feet. LOL

Michelle June 30, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Tattoos are a beautiful expression of oneself. And shame on that lady for bringing up religion at all. That's something you don't impose on others or pass judgement about. You keeping be you, unique and intelligent!

~M~ June 30, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I think tattoos are great!

Winna June 30, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I don't think Jesus would like her judging you either!

I was raised christian and was always taught not to put markings (tattoos) on my body but I don't care or think twice if other people have them. It is not our place to judge each other, but to accept each other for what we are! I am not religious either, by the way. Although this comment maight make it seem so.

Raine June 30, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Who are they to say what Jesus likes or doesnt like?? He seems pretty hip to me, I bet he would dig them. Screw those ladies!

Diane J. June 30, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I second Winna's statement. Good grief! It never ceases to amaze me what people will let pop out of their mouths.

Be proud. Apparently, whoever was taking pics liked the way you looked, boy I bet those ladies were jealous then, (snicker, snicker, snicker).

Seashells&Sunshine July 1, 2009 at 3:07 am

Oh my goshhh that's awful!
Who says things like that?!

You shoulda said I don't remember jesus talking about tattoos in the Bible!!

Krystyn July 1, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Wow…to the ladies that said “Jesus hates…” who are they to judge? That just irks me to no end.

JenJen July 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm

How RUDE!
My single tattoo (which is lonely, but I have not committed to #2 yet) is the infinity symbol, “without limits” and when I look at it (more like remember it's there)I am reminded by the personal reasons I chose it!

headbitingprincess July 2, 2009 at 1:51 pm

wow .. so like .. I guess Jesus must have spoke directly to them .. and told them that he did not approve of tattoo's .. and better yet it was ok for them to judge and say a distasteful UN-christian like remark ..
Rach .. sadly there are posers in the world such as ur office mates – but dont let them ever win by letting their offensive insensitive words ever bother you ..

LOL at the pics .. umm did you question the photographer .. maybe he/she has a crush on ya ..

Hope you have a terrific Thursday to make up 4 the trashed Tuesday